Most families have computers in their homes. It’s important that while kids use them for communication, learning and fun that they are taught about dangers of the web. Here are some ideas to help you protect your kids online.
- Place the computer in a central location in your home. That way you can easily monitor the internet use.
- Sit down and make guidelines with your family. Create time limits, where kids can go online and what web sites are appropriate.
- Teach your children to keep their personal information private. Things such as address, phone number, school name or location should never be revealed online unless with permission.
- Talk to your kids about their internet experiences. The more open you are, the more likely they will come to you if they encounter an uncomfortable situation.
- Use a safe email account like Kids Email so you can monitor their messages.
- Learn how to block objectionable material. Know what parental control tools can and can not do and how they work.
Are there ways that you keep your kids safe online? If so, we’d love to hear about it!