Its so easy to stay connect to loved ones now. We have access to Skype, texting, and social media to keep our family and friends up to date with our crazy lives. Its important to stay in touch with all of our loved ones- and its very crucial to keep our older generations informed of the ever changing technology game.
Make it a goal to educate grandparents and even great grandparents with technology. While it may take some patience, with a few easy steps everyone can be texting and using Skype with ease.
1. Go through the bare bones of the device. Whether its a smart phone or a tablet, make sure the grandparent knows how to turn it on and off, work the volume, and charge it.
2. Make sure they know how to use the app store and manage their apps.
3. While walking them through everything, have them be the ones manipulating the device.
4. Teach them how to use a search engine- and let them know how to be effective on the search engine.
5. Install some games. Teach them how to play-and this is very great for mental health too.
6. Teach them how to use Skype. Here’s a simple tutorial to get you started.
For the simplest device, choose a tablet/smart phone or a laptop with a touch screen. The great thing with the smart phone is its portable, and with loads of apps the smart phone may be the most practical.
With these tips, make sure the grandparent is set up with two valuable items- WiFi and Skype. Reassure them that you are willing to help out with any questions and let the connecting begin!