January 28, 1016 is Data Privacy Day.
“Respecting Privacy, Safeguarding Data and Enabling Trust” is the theme for Data Privacy Day, an international effort held annually on January 28 to create awareness about the importance of privacy and protecting personal information.
So what does this mean to you? How can you get involved?
At home– Teach your family the importance of being #privacy Aware.
- Share with care- what you post can last a life time.
- Personal information is valuable- just like money.
- Post only about others what you’d have them post about you.
- Own your online presence- teaching yourself and your kids about privacy and security settings on all platforms.
- Stay positively engaged- interacting with trusted sites
- Stay current- Keep yourself up-to-date with current safety procedures
Create a work environment where privacy is taken seriously. Teach employees/employers how to maintain a high privacy standard.
- Be careful how customers information is shared.
- Explain how important privacy is to your customers.
- Use multiple forms of communication informing customers of their privacy rights.
- Assign a company privacy officer to keep employees up-to-date on your company’s privacy standards.
Use #PrivacyAware to share the word on privacy by going to your community centers, church’s, and schools. Some ideas on what to teach include-
- Teach how to use passwords and pass-codes when locking mobile devices.
- Strong passwords and the importance of keeping those passwords private
- Keep a journal, hand written, of all pass-codes and passwords.
We recognize that organizations, businesses and government all share the responsibility of being conscientious stewards of personal information by respecting privacy, safeguarding data and enabling trust. Its takes all of us to make online activity safe and secure.
Join us on January 28 for the #PrivacyAware campaign! Here’s what you can look forward to-
- Change your social media profile picture to the “I am #PrivacyAware” image.
- Join us on Thursday, January 21 and Wednesday, January 27, at 3 p.m. EST/noon PST for #ChatSTC Twitter chats.
- Sign yourself or your company up as a Data Privacy Day Champion.
- Use #PrivacyAware on social media and follow us on Facebook /DataPrivacyNCSA, Twitter @DataPrivacyDay and Instagram @PrivacyAware.